Google
 

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Confused and angry...

I am not quite sure how to even approach this topic, so I am going to cut right to the point.

In India, both my mother's side of the family and my father's side of the family have a driver as well as a maid who both come everyday to the house; the driver is responsible for helping the family run errands and drive each member of the family to places he/she needs to go, and the maid obviously cleans the house.

The driver on my mother's side of the family, has a daughter. She's my age- 20 years old. It seems as though she had run off with an auto rikshaw driver (auto rikshaws are comparable to taxis in New York City) and married him without telling her family ahead of time.

When her father (our driver) came to know about his daughter's actions, he was shocked and devastated, to say the least. The auto driver was not the kind of person he had planned for his only daughter to marry; he had expected something more for her.

My mother's family (my grandmother, uncle, aunt, grandfather, etc.) spoke to the driver, calmed him down, and helped him to accept his daughter, her new husband, and her new family. They told him that she was his only daughter, and her happiness was important. By not accepting her decision, it would be terrible for her in her new family, as her inlaws would obviously give her a hard time (they would feel as though her father thought they were not good enough for her and her family).

My grandmother told us afterwards that things were all right; he had accepted his daughter's decision, and even went to her new family's house with gifts and kind words.

Just days after, unable to truly accept his daughter's marriage and come to terms with this, he has committed suicide.

I do not know how to remotely think or feel about this. What about the driver's family? His wife? How is she to support herself? I do not believe she has a job, and the only money came from her husband's job as my family's driver. Although my family has given the family quite a bit of extra money to help them support themselves, is this enough? What is to become of them?

What about his daughter? Imagine what she must be going through. Imagine how crushed she must feel inside, how much she must be blaming herself for her father's death. She is a 20-year old girl. I know if this had happened to me, I would certainly be blaming myself. I am not sure what I would even do in such a position...

I'm just confused and angry...and that's that...

1 Comments:

Blogger Monologist said...

oh wow that's quiet a situation the daughter got herself into.
In a sense I expect she would always be blaming herself for her father's death.

But somehow I see his side of the story. He was working as a auto driver so that his daughter could get things that he never had, and could be educated and get a better job. The fact that she married a auto richshaw driver means that she is in the same type of lifestyle.
So all that her father worked for is in vain, because it won't be beneficial.

To add to that, her in-laws aren't treating her the right way or at least how her father wanted her to be treated.

I guess after her father saw her life, he knew that her life would be just like his, and he couldn't bear that.

Oh and i think he probably was disappinted in the way she got married. not the traditional type of way you know?

and i think the father is selfish in a way, he only thought about himself and not his family, his wife.

but who do you live your life for? you wife? or for yourself?
if he couldn't bear his realityi think he had the right to "end" his reality.
if that makes sense

happy blogging from a fellow blogger
ala dhanishry :D

31/7/05 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home