Google
 

Monday, June 11, 2007

What's 'height' got to do with it??

Apparently, how tall a man is can significantly affect how successful they are in the business world.

My thoughts?

That's absolute bogus. Seriously. How can height be THAT much of an influence over how you perform at work? Yes, I understand the appeal for a taller man, but I thought that was true more for what a woman looked for in a man than what other businessmen looked for in businessmen.

I have a huge problem in general with a lot of these 'studies' that are done. I think some of them are pretty shady. Honestly, how many men do you all know who are short and successful? I know so many! And 'success' I know is measured in different ways. I'm using the 'general' definition - those who are in high positions at work. Almost every older, Indian man I know is in such a position, and let me tell you, some of them are not too much taller than I am, and I'm generally considered to be on the shorter side.

I find it annoying that people say height has so much influence over 'success', rather than your intellectual ability to perform, including your processing power, your knowledge, and your ability to converse and communicate with people. What's the point in being tall and 'pretty' to look at, when you are really not as 'smart' as others who are shorter, and in general more qualified to be in high positions?

And this better not have anything to do with females...

8 Comments:

Blogger Jayashree said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

13/6/07 2:43 PM  
Blogger Jayashree said...

(okay did spell check and had to repost.. i hate u. lol)

Well, appearances do make a difference in this world. I agree with you that theses studies are bogus.. but when you look at how society views success/measure people's growth, how often is it based on talent?

I completely do not think that this particular generalization has anything to do with success... but like this might be a category for men.. weight definitely is one for woman... It is sad, but high end positions are given more to women who are on the more attractive and lighter side. While this imposes an ethical misconduct on the selection process, it is however still widely practiced.

Then let me ask you this.. do you believe appearances should not be a criteria at all? Because would you hire someone for a executive level position who came to the interview polished, dressed well, and looked appealing... or someone who looked appalling, uninviting,.. let us say that the less attractive man was better qualified for the position?.... don't first impressions count on physical appearances?

So where does it start, continue or end?

13/6/07 2:49 PM  
Blogger Writer Through Life... said...

so can I comment on the spelling/grammar even after your re-posting? =P

I kid, I kid...

Onto more pertaining matters. Of course, appearance is important. How you look physically is not something you can control. It shouldn't matter how tall you are, whether your nose is too big, or whether you are balding. However, you have control over your credentials, your education, your talents, and the way you present yourself.

Presentation includes body language, good grooming [shaving, combed hair, brushed teeth - yes, you get the idea], and clothing. I think these are important. So in that sense, yes, appearance is somewhat of a criteria.

So as for your question: where does it start, continue, or end? Appearance doesn't matter in areas you don't have control, or are genetic/natural. It does matter when you have control, such as instances I outlined above.

13/6/07 5:18 PM  
Blogger Jayashree said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

13/6/07 6:28 PM  
Blogger Jayashree said...

i deleted it again...

13/6/07 9:48 PM  
Blogger Writer Through Life... said...

woman what is wrong with you? why can't you women ever make up your minds?

sheesh...women...minus myself =P

13/6/07 10:05 PM  
Blogger Jayashree said...

oh ya, minus yourself for sure... I deleted it because i noticed later that i said the 'A' word.. so ya... i was doing YOU a favor... god, women are so ungrateful... minus myself! :p

14/6/07 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

14/11/09 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home