Google
 

Sunday, August 07, 2005

temporary relationships...what's the point?

I know I'm going to have people IMing me left and right about this, because I know this post is going to prove to be controversial, but the point of this is to get my thoughts down, so here it goes.

More recently than ever before, I've been witnessing so many of these "casual" relationships that are started just for fun, for temporary satisfaction, and with no intention from either party to continue further beyond a certain time-frame.

Now, I know I'm no relationship expert, and I know I'm not the wisest person around, but for some reason, this idea makes no sense to me. Why get involved in several "short-term" relationships with another person, or even just ONE short-term relationship, if you go into it knowing it is not something that is going to last?

Some people say it's just for fun...others view it as a way to move past a previous heartbreak and divert their attention...some just "go with the flow".

I have problems with all these reasons. Sure, you can have your fun now; sure it may very well help you get over a prior serious relationship...and the most ridiculous in my opinion, sure you might be just "going with the flow", but do any of these people think of the effects of this in the future?

Sure, they go into the relationship expecting it to be short-term. But what IF, just what if, one person, or even both, become attached? The two people went into the relationship knowing it was something that could not last, and now they are in a position where they are unable to come up with a way to properly end it. Why put yourself through that?

What is the philosophy behind this? Is it purely sexual? Or does that have at least a small part in the action? Personally, I feel that is immature. We should be able to control those "urges" to a level and think with our minds. What do these temporary relationships do for us later?

Some people say "they give me the experience I need". The experience for what? So all those people who find that one person and stay with that one person through their lives with no prior experience are all idiots? What do you need experience in? When people have children, they don't "gain experience" prior to it. They don't learn how to be parents until the moment that child is given birth to. It is an entire learning experience. Why can't relationships be the same?

It's one thing to be in a serious relationship which ends due to unforeseen circumstances, and then become involved in another serious relationship that you actually see going somewhere. But flings? short-term relationships? Purely sexual relationships? I don't get it.

It's just been bothering me because people around me who are close to me are starting to cross too many boundaries that I don't think is healthy for them.

Yes, I know, I'm going to get yelled at by quite a lot of people for posting this. But you know what? That doesn't bother me. This is my opinion, and that's not going to change. For those of you who know me well, you know I'm a conservative girl who has strong beliefs in certain issues, so this post will not come as a surprise to most of those people.

I just don't get it; I'd rather spend my time trying to find someone who is more viable to be a long-term/life-long partner, than someone to just "mess around" with temporarily. To me, it seems like a pure waste of time.

Now, off for a day in the caverns in the deep mountains of...Arkansas. Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home