Google
 

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

yay for music! (and for tablas)

So for those of you who know me even a little bit, know that I'm obsessed with music and cannot live without it. And for those of you who know me just a little better, know that I LOVE percussion, especially Indian classical percussion music. It's really just something else. Well anyways, without getting side-tracked, let me get to the point I wanted to write about. Well as you all know, I've decided to go all out with my writing, and in the process, am writing a book which is set to become a movie in the future.

Although music has somewhat been set, there was that final piece that was missing: percussion. We have some basic English songs, as well as some South Indian tunes, but we wanted to venture into something that hasn't been explored as much also, and test out some fusionistic tunes. And for that, we needed a tabla player.

Well, I set out to look for someone. I posted a request in a forum on yahoo! and within one hour, had emails pouring in, one after another, from tablaists who were interested. I have to say, there are quite a few very very talented people out there. But I stumbled across one woman who really caught my attention from the start. She had been trained right off the bat by world-famous tablaist Zakir Hussain and his father. She worked with big time artists like singer Norah Jones for her last album. People such as writer Salman Rusdie and model/actress Padma Lakshmi admired her. Who is she? Her name is Suphala. They call her the female answer to Talvin Singh (amazing tablaist who is a main experimenter with fusionistic music.) The most exciting part of all of this, is that she has agreed to help with the movie; she will be composing some fusion music for us, as well as playing tabla for the soundtrack! It's so exciting!!!! Feel free to check her out at www.suphala.com just to see how amazing this woman actually is. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Well, that's all for now. Back to work!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

freaking...

can i be your new best friend?

and i'd settle for an autograph too ;-)

21/9/05 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home