Google
 

Saturday, July 15, 2006

men can be ridiculous...well, at least some of them

It's been a busy week. Last weekend was wonderful. My little cousin, Gayathri, came and spent the weekend with me. We definitely had a lot of fun. However, I don't recommend seeing The Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest, though if you are anything like me, you won't pay too much attention to those recommendations and you'll watch it for yourself. [But seriously, it's a waste of 10 bucks in my opinion. Dinner at Taco Bell would have been more rewarding for me. Even Pizza Bella.]

So I was placed in an interesting situation this past week, during which I had first-hand experience with a man who believes with all his heart that women are entirely incapable of anything, and are only good for one thing. Sex. I was shocked out of my mind at how seriously he believed in this. I admit, there are very stupid women in the world. But to be fair, there are equally stupid men. This man honestly believed that women should not have a voice whatsoever, and should obey him [or any man for that matter] when told what to do. She should be willing to have sex with him as and when he wants. And frankly speaking, she is, and I use his words, "good for being nothing but a whore". He told me that he should not have to listen to what I have to say, but rather, I should listen to him. If he wants to have sex with me, I should drop everything that instant and go "please" him. He told me personally that I am good for being nothing but a whore, and that nobody should give me the chance to be anything else. Yes, people like this actually do exist, and yes, he used almost these exact same words.

I'll be honest. I think a lot of the women I encounter act far too ditzy. I am not sure if it is intentional [some think it's cute], or if they really are that ditzy, but I know that I don't have patience for it. I need more practical, down-to-earth, reasonable people to communicate with. However, I don't think it's fair to say that women, even the ditzy ones, are good for only sex. It's demeaning and very insulting.

It's hard for me to comment much on the matter, but I don't believe I have to either. I think it's fairly obvious what I would feel or think about the situation. Because of the environment I was in during the situation, I was very level-headed [at least, I believe I was], and reacted as best as I could to his comments. The end result: he actually stopped making such statements and listened to what I had to say. I think that's pretty good, considering he's someone who doesn't think women deserve to be heard.

I'm interested to know if any other people have been in a situation in which they encountered people such as the man I described above. Let me know!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mumbai Monsoon said...

What are you talking about? Dead Man's Chest was awesome... the script, direction and acting were all superb. Though I do think Capt. Sparrow is bisexual if not completely gay. The only complaint I have, is that I hate the second movie in trilogies, simply because they leave you very unsatisfied.

And yeah, as far as the rest of your post is concerned. I'm quite a huge male chauvinist myself, so I don't know. How about we compromise.... women can be good other things as well, but primarily for sex !

15/7/06 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. good 4 u 4 making him shut the hell up and listen to whatever it is u had to say. makes me sick to know that there are men who think so low of us. we think with our brains more than half of them do anyway. all their blood is constantly rushing down, how the hell do they use their brains? ugh.

18/7/06 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

INteresting post Smrithri, I've encounter many men like that, but I find that the fight to actually make them see the "light" isn't really worth it.
I mean if you're going to be a male pig chances are a sit-down won't change much.
I say, we beat them and poke them with sticks, just for the heck of it :)
Hope all is well

20/7/06 2:43 AM  
Blogger Mumbai Monsoon said...

It's like an adrenalin rush -except it's even better -It's a feminism rush. I love the bigoted generalizations they induce. As if feminism was any less reprehensible than male chauvinism... but ofcourse, it's different and I lack the intellect to understand the difference. Ah well, I shall revel in being a disgusting, intellegence impaired, MCP. Cheers!

20/7/06 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently you do lack the intelligence if you think feminism is the same as male chauvinism.
feminism is the 'fight' for women to have equal opportunities just like their male counterparts.
male pigs just think poorly of women, feminist don't think poorly of men, that's not their tale, it's the fight for rights for women. men, really don't come into the picture.
just as they are men that suffer from male chauvinism they are women that suffer from female chauvinism too, however it isn't called being a 'feminist'

I opt to beat him. Yes.

20/7/06 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home