Google
 

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I love encouragement

"...whatever you do, don't give up, and above all else don't listen to the people who tell you that you can't make a living in entertainment, because that is simply not true!"
~Dan Nainan

So, so true. I've been speaking a lot with Dan Nainan, the half-Japanese, half-Indian comedian (many of you may remember him - he toured with comedian Russell Peters). He's been helping me out a lot with my writing, how to go about it, etc. and we got to talking about the Indian community and the pressure to go into particular careers (engineers, doctors, etc.). In the process, he told me the above quote, and encouraged me never to give up, and that it's such a misconception that you can't be successful in the entertainment world (or rather, it's difficult to be).

Not that I had any intention of giving up, but it's so good to hear words of encouragement sometimes and to have someone give you the "OK" and tell you that you are doing the right thing. Thanks Dan =)

Oh and on a side note, he has never drank or smoked or done drugs just like me and was wowed that I hadn't - so to all you losers who make fun of me for it, BOOYAH, I got Dan Nainan on my side :-P

All right, I'm out, laterz people 8-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Char said...

It's hard to win respect for taking care of yourself, but it really won't matter when the drunks die an early age of liver disease, and the stoners can't remember who you are, and the pill pushers probably won't make it to 60... You'll at least get the last laugh. :)

15/11/05 5:45 PM  
Blogger Monologist said...

I personally don't think there is any pressure to be an engr or doctor or anything in the desi community.
And if there is, then Desi students need to actually speak up for what they want instead of letting their parents dictate their lives, I dont mean that in an insulting way, but I find that the desi culture has it that all important decisions aren't made by the individual that lives the life, but by people that don't.

So, if desi people don't want to be engrs or doctors, they can simply say no to it, but it's so embedded in them, to have all the decisions made for them that I highly doubt they will. you know?

When you make your own decisions you will have to live with the confusion of finding what major fits and live with the consequences.

Also if you're going to be a doctor or an engr etc... you actually have to be good at it. It's not like you wake up one day and say "wow I'm gonna be an engr"

17/11/05 8:48 PM  
Blogger Writer Through Life... said...

Dhanishry, I agree, that you should be able to say "I want to do this" and be able to do just that - but unfortunately, there are many, many Indian families that might be difficult in. And the people I know who have been able to break from the traditional path and study what they want, are badmouthed. I realize you may feel that is exaggerated, and I really wish that were the case, but sadly it is not. There are one too many families in which that opinion cannot be voiced, and if it is voiced and if that person is "successful" in pursuing what he/she wants, well, they pay through the gossip. And I realize that can start another argument that you shouldn't let that gossip get to you. It can go in circles, but this idea of pressure to be the top does exist in a lot of families within the Indian community, though maybe not all.

17/11/05 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home