Google
 

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Immaturity to the MAX

It's amazing how age sometimes has absolutely nothing to do with maturity. Most recently, I'm watching a couple of people I know and who used to be very close to me, let their entire "worlds" fall apart simply because one thing has gone wrong in their life. Funny thing is, these people are considerably older than I am (24 to 27 years old), and don't act a BIT like they should be. At least, they don't act even close to what I think mature adults their age should act like. All right, so even if I give them the benefit of the doubt that the one thing that went wrong was such a huge part of their lives, isn't it somewhat ridiculous to allow your whole life to fall apart because of it? When I ask these people about it, they respond with “that WAS my life. I let everything I am and everything I do revolve around that. If I don’t have that anymore, my life is not worth living.” Come on, seriously, let alone “immaturity to the max.” Shall we say, drama to the max?

All right so I know I sound incredibly cynical and harsh right now, but for crying out loud, give me a break. If you cannot be independent emotionally, then you have a huge problem. Financial independence is something that will come with time. Not everyone is financially independent at the same time, and many of us are still in school or still receiving help from parents because we don’t have big jobs yet that allow us to be entirely independent. But being financially independent right now is not what I mean by maturity. That is something that we can all be, whether or not we are emotionally and mentally mature, when the time comes. To be emotionally independent is to have a mind of your own, to be able to pick up broken pieces and continue right where you left off and move on without letting something affect you drastically, and to be able to think for yourself without letting your opinions and your thoughts be influenced by someone or something else or entirely formed by someone or something else. Now THAT is what I want to see in people. That is what I think is worthy of respect. Even if I was the one “thing” a person let his/her life revolve around, I’d frankly find that disgusting. I’d feel somewhat choked as though I have no room to breathe [ok so that’s my bit of drama, but it’s hard not to get that way sometimes when dealing with people like this].

I think it’s time for these people to understand that their lives have to be lived for themselves and nobody else. If you choose to do something, do it for yourself. Do it because you have a clear reason in your mind for doing it, and what anybody else thinks or says has no influence over your thoughts and actions. When you have clear ideas in your mind, clear goals, and a set of values that you will not change for anyone aside from yourself, that will automatically win the respect of people around you even if their ideas, goals and values are drastically different from theirs. No two people are going to be identical in every single imaginable way. The world would be far too boring if everyone thought the same way and did the same things. So please learn to live for yourself. Otherwise, don’t expect to get very far in life.

That’s my bit of venting for the day =) Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home