Google
 

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I <3 you Jill

Jill - my big sister from the Women and Science in Engineering program at the University of Michigan. She was one of the biggest inspirations for me when I got to Michigan as a 17-year old freshman. Not only was she a genuinely hardworking person, she was there for me through so much and was never too busy to make me feel better through all the things I went through. No matter how big or how small, and regardless of what she had to get done by the next hour, she would sit down with me to talk and make me feel as though there was nothing more important.

Yesterday she called me. Needless to say, I was excited to speak to her. Obviously I am not in touch with her as often as I was while in Michigan, but she is one of those who I am still in touch with on some basis and still consider close to me.

She however, shared some unfortunate news. She's been diagnosed with breast cancer. What's even stranger is the fact that she just turned 23 years old. Breast cancer at 23? Who would have thought...

Naturally, I was thrown off. It was hard to respond to because it is not at all close to what you would expect to follow, "I have some news I have to tell you" from a 23 year old woman.

So, for those who are religious, I ask you to keep Jill in your prayers, and for those who are not, please hope for her speedy recovery. She is beginning chemotherapy treatment next week which should last 4-6 months after which she may or may not have to undergo radiation treatment as well. They have removed her lymph nodes, to which the cancer had spread, and are now working on killing the rest of it. I am certain that she will get through it. She is one of the strongest, most optimistic, and genuinely good people who I know.

It's sad that things like this happen to such good people...I know I kept thinking to myself last night "it's not fair...it's not fair...". However, a good friend told me that though he knows why I feel that way, the two are mutually exclusive. The fact that these things happen to good people has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they are good people and "do not deserve" this. Her wedding which was to happen this summer has been postponed, as has her start in med school which was supposed to begin this fall.

But she's strong. And good. And wonderful. And she'll make it. Please keep her in your thoughts or prayers. Or both. Take your pick =)

And with that, I'm signing off.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to Jill

24/2/06 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home